Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Disintegration - Seth's project




One of my favorite blogs is The Altered Page by Seth Apter in NYC - he always has such interesting projects and connections - one of his latest projects "Disintegration" is one where he took pages from a book and wrapped them with twine and then put them outdoors for the elements to join in as a natural collaborator to his project - his idea - as I understand it - is to allow nature to do her work until Spring and see what happens - he then invited anyone who was interested to join in and do their own projects - we will be able to see how nature affects the pieces in different parts of the country - it intrigued me and so I did a twist on his idea - I started thinking about pages and words on pages - then went to a literal connection and found an old dictionary - tore out 36 pages and rolled them individually tying them with twine - then bound them in two piles of 18 each and bound each of them - I photographed the pages on top of the dictionary they were torn from -




I live in Southern California so our weather is much different from the rest of the country so it should be interesting to see what happens to my pages - I will put them on my small balcony outside my apartment - actually the balcony sits just outside my former dining area which I now use as my studio - I'll take photos in the daytime - I think I'll take photos periodically to chronicle the progress of the weathering of my pages - I did not add gesso or anything to my pages - anyone else interested in joining in? go to Seth's blog to see his pages - This should be fun! Thanks, Seth, for the invite.

13 comments:

Genie said...

Looks interesting
i am doing a similiar thing with Maggie Gray where we have had a comlplete catalogue out in the elements all winter, then brought in to dry. were now waiting to see what we will be doing with them

Jill Zaheer said...

Great to see such inspiration generated from Seth Apter's blog. It has created quite an exciting collaboration of so many people participating. Looking forward to seeing what the Spring will bring to your lovely wrapped packets of dictionary pages. Thanks for sharing your "Disintegration Work".

Jill Zaheer New York

Michi Michaelson, Orange County, CA said...

This looks VERY cool, Reba!!! I'm anxious to see what happens to your Disintegration project, too!! THANKS for sharing!!!

Seth said...

Love what you have created here. The bundles look so cool together. Glad you are onboard and I look forward to seeing what they look like in spring.

Sandy said...

Interesting bundles. What do you think they will look like? I think mine would blow away, never to be found again. I am in the windy city. I am trying to save my moolah to come to AU this year. We will see if it happens.

Unknown said...

I love the bundles .... they look like little branches bundled for a wood fire. It will be interesting to see what your LA weather contributes ....

LorMil said...

Oh, this sounds fantastic!

I might try it myself, we'll see.

I like the literary connection. It's a great idea!

Corrine said...

Great fun, I'm doing this project too. I can't wait to see what they all turn out like. Love the scroll idea.

Pam McKnight said...

just found your blog. cool idea, I will have to go look at Seth's next.
thanks! http://pammcknight.blogspot.com/

melanie hope greenberg said...

What a cool blog! All the Best.

Melanie Hope Greenberg

Elizabeth Golden said...

I am doing this too. I love your little pages they are so cute. I had quite the shock the other night, we had hurricane force winds and my bundles flew everywhere. Most had been returned by today by my neighbors.

~*~Patty S said...

Such an exciting collaboration, I joined in late. Your bundles look so interesting, it will be fun to check back in on 1 May!

Mrs Pretzel said...

delicious. JUST delicious. I love dictionary ANYTHING. Can't wait to see how it all ends!!