Monday, September 8, 2008

So Cal Mixed Media Group - 1st Gathering

Carole from Claremont

After a bunch of us talked at Art Unraveled in August, our goal was to create an art community here in LA . We felt a bit lost here after returning because everything is so spread out and everyone is driving their cars everywhere so no chance of meeting on the street like in NYC or San Francisco. Saturday was an amazing day! After having 30 artists sign up for our new Yahoo Group, 11 amazing women showed up at VIVA Gallery studio for our groups first gathering - Thanks to Renee, JoAnn, Pat, Terrill, Carmen, Amy Elise (my co-moderator), Kara, Laurel, Carole and Tally!Terrill from Claremont - my first friend from Art Unraveled 2007!


Amy Elise - co-moderator of our So Cal Mixed Media Group - She taught the fabric puffy hearts.


Pat M. - we met on the phone a few months ago - both students of Kelly Kilmer.

Renee - mixed media artist who is also an extraordinary Calligrapher!

I forgot to take pictures before some left and I also forgot to take photos of everyone's artwork - both the completed projects on our display table and things they were working on in the studio. Hopefully they will post it on our Yahoo Group or send a jpg version to me so I can post them.

Amy Elise brought her sewing machine and lots and lots of vintage fabric, buttons, sequins, ribbons and lace and generously let us use her materials. She decided to teach us how to make fabric puffy hearts as described in Belinda Spiwak's great article with photos (Cloth,Paper, Scissors - Sept/Oct 2008 pp. 50-52). It was so much fun and I loved them so much, I've been working on some at home. Will post them as soon as I finish them.


My first attempt at fabric puffy hearts - Hey, Mom - Don't faint, I used a sewing machine!


Terrill made an apricot cobbler to die for with apricots off her tree in her yard - What a treat - also forgot to take a photo of that - guess she'll just have to make another one for our next gathering in October!

We had a great start and look forward to more next month. Feel free to join our group if it interests you. We will be meeting the first Sunday of the month (except for July) from 1 pm - 5 pm at VIVA gallery studio (upstairs). Our next gathering will be Sunday, October 5th. I will be teaching a class (TBA) in that same studio - Sunday, October 12th from 1 pm - 5 pm. Will be posting info on my blog and on the VIVA Gallery website in the next few days.

Food for thought - from a postcard on my fridge:

"In Germany they first came for the Communists and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Communist. Then they came for the Jews, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew. Then they came for the Gays and Lesbians, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't Gay or Lesbian. Then they came for the Catholics, and I didn't speak up because I was Protestant. Then they came for me - and by that time no one was left to speak up." ...Pastor Martin Niemoller












1 comment:

Ruth Rae said...

what a great idea! it looks like you all had a amazing time! I would love to join in on your next art play date!